The Secrets Of Very Productive People - Noa Ries, Founder Of Vie Active
Posted on 05 August 2015
At Vie Active, we truly believe that living healthy and active lives is what makes us productive, happy people and so this August we are focusing on some of our favourite female entrepreneurs and finding out what makes them productive and why health and fitness is a non-negotiable in their life.
What is one of the most important lessons you have learnt as an entrepreneur?
The importance of the 3 Ps: Patience, Perspective, Perseverance
What daily habits keep you productive?
- I like to workout in the morning. I schedule my workouts in advance and they are non negotiable for me. In order to be happy, energetic and focused all day, I have to work out at least 3 times per week.
- I write lists in categories. I use an awesome app called Any Do which syncs between your phone and computer and allows you to categorise lists by topic (for example, I have sales, marketing, design, management lists as well as a personal one) and also by urgency (ie today, tomorrow, eventually).
- I am an eternal glass half full person and so when I make mistakes or experience challenges, I try to reflect on these and use them as an opportunity to grow rather than fixate on the outcome.
What are your tips for getting on track when you’re not feeling you’re most productive?
- Break projects into bite sizes
- Take a walk around the block to get perspective and clear your head
- Go for a run!
Why is health and fitness a priority for you?
- Being fit and strong enables me to have the energy to get through my super busy, hectic days. It makes me feel focused and happy.
- Eating a balanced diet rich in fruit, vegetables, healthy fats and protein and just a little bit of complex carbs (brown rice for example with just one meal a day)) has made a tremendous difference to my energy levels. I generally don’t get energy slumps throughout the day.
With such a busy schedule how do you fit in workouts?
It’s a non-negotiable part of my life and so I schedule them in first thing in the morning so there are no distractions or reasons not to work out. After the first couple of days of being tired when the alarm goes off, you become addicted to the happy post workout feeling and you can jump out of bed much more easily.
What are your favourite workouts and why?
I like to mix up indoor and outdoor workouts. I like to do HIIT workouts in a studio, dance cardio or megaformer pilates style sessions and then throw in a soft sand or trail run or a hike to really clear my head.
How much sleep do you get each night?
Definitely not enough and this is something I am working on. I probably get about 6 hours of sleep a night
How do you prioritise your workload each day/week?
I make lists based on the priority in which they need to be done. When I have some downtime at work I tackle my “eventually” list.
What do you do to concentrate?
I listen to classical music.
Do you have a morning routine or ritual?
Aside from working out most mornings, I like to cuddle my kids for a bit and then I drink a big glass of water, and make myself an espresso. Once the kids’ breakfast is sorted, I make Bryan and myself a huge green smoothie and drink it while checking my emails.
What do you to unwind?
A glass of wine and a good book. I like to read biographies and business books written by other entrepreneurs.
What are your thoughts on mistakes, challenges or failures?
I think it’s important to be committed to continuous improvement. Rather than endlessly rehashing a problem, I ask myself what can I learn from this? What can I do better next time and I vow to myself to somehow tweak things a little bit the next time.
What makes you FLAWSOME?
I don’t try to be perfect. There’s a great quote by Eric Thomas that says, “There will never be the perfect time to do a great thing.” I realised when we were first starting Vie Active that no matter how inexperienced or unprepared I might have felt, right now is the best time to jump into action.