Thanksgiving with a twist - Vegan, Paleo, Healthy
Posted on 22 November 2014
It's officially the holiday season, but that's no excuse to stop thinking healthy and living active - but we know it can be hard to keep on track with so many social events! So we've made your job a little easier and compiled our favourite healthy, vegan and paleo recipes for Thanksgiving - including some raw recipes too!
So whip these up bring them to parties, bring them in as an office snack and you'll feel indulgent whilst doing your health a lot of good!
Pumpkin Cheesecakes Cups
1 cup walnuts (other nuts work too)
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tspn vanilla extract
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/4 Himalayan salt
Pumpkin Pie Layer:
1 cup of Pumpkin Puree
1 egg (or 1 tspn of chia seeds)
1 tspn cinnamon/ pumpkin pie spice
2 tbspns RAW honey
1 cup of raw cashews (sokaed for 6 hours)
1/3 cup RAW honey
Pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup of coconut milk
- Blend all crusts ingredients together
- Set crust mixture in moulds and bake in oven at 180C for 10 minutes
- Blend all pumpkin pie ingredients together add on top of crust and bake for 45 minutes at 180C
- Set to cool
- Blend all cheesecake ingredients until smooth and place on top of pumpkin pie layer
- Set in fridge for 2 hours
Vegan and Grain Free Paleo Pumpkin Choc Chip Cookies
1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 70% - we use 85% or cacao nibs)
- Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth, folding in the chocolate chips last
- Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 180C
- Yum! - These are definitely a favourite!
Vegan Pumpkin Butter
4 cups pumpkin puree
1/4 cup apple cider
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp stevia or agave (to taste)
To Roast the Pumpkin
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the exterior of the pumpkins, cut them in half, and remove the seeds and stringy stuff (save seeds for later baking).
- Lay the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet covered in tin foil (spray the foil with olive oil or wipe it with a dab of coconut oil on a paper towel). Place into the oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow them to cool so that you can handle them.
Pumpkin Butter Instructions
- Scoop out the roasted pumpkin and place 4 cups into mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add the apple cider, spices, and stevia and mix until incorporated.
- Place into a medium size sauce pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Mixture will thicken and reduce. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the frig (or you may can it, if you are into canning). Serve over waffles, pancakes, bread, oatmeal, yogurt, frozen yogurt!
Pumpkin Bliss Balls
Bliss balls just got better!
4 T of dry ingredients (with protein powder, oats, coconut, almond meal or any combo of those. I used oats and coconut)
2 T nut butter
2 T pumpkin puree (store-bought or homemade)
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves
pinch of dried ginger
pinch of sea salt
splash of vanilla extract
Sweetener of choice (I rolled with Stevia, but if you like to use liquid sweetener, you may have to add to the dry ingredients).
- Mix all ingredients together in the food processor, roll into balls and then set in the fridge for 1 hour.
Something Savoury ...
Autumn salad with Apples, Pomegranates and persimmons and candied hazelnuts
FOR CANDIED HAZELNUTS:
1 cup raw hazelnuts, preferably soaked and dehydrated
2 and 1/5 TBS coconut sugar
2 pinches of cinnamon powder
a pinch of celtic sea salt
2 TBS water
juice from one large orange
1 TBS RAW honey
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
a couple pinches of celtic sea salt
3 TBS olive oil
organic salad mix, about a 1/2 pound
1 crisp apple, thinly sliced
1 medium fuyu persimmon, thinly sliced
1 small pomegranate, cracked open and de-seeded
- To make candied hazelnuts: Sprinkle coconut sugar into skillet and begin to heat over medium heat. When sugar begins to melt, toss in hazelnuts and stir to completely coat nuts. Sprinkle on cinnamon, salt, and 2 TBS of water. Stir again to evenly coat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To make dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
- To assemble salad: Toss salad greens with dressing until evenly coated. Arrange apple and persimmon slices on top. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds all around the salad. Top with cooled candied hazel nuts.
- Serve and enjoy!