Fit Mum Feature: Lisa Clayton
Posted on 02 May 2014
Lisa Clayton is one of the most amazing 'mum' treprenuers we know. Mum of three boys as well as being the founder and director of Ozfit, she definitely knows how to balance motherhood and an active life and we find out how.
1. What is one thing your mum has always taught you about living an active life?
We are designed for movement, to run, to jump, to climb. The human body likes physical activity and children need it when they are growing. My mum never pushed me into any kind of fitness when I was young, but I was involved in a lot of team sports and I loved it. Without her helping me, driving me, feeding me, I would never have experienced how fulfilling sport is and how it has led me to where I am today.
2. Your mum is a... Nurturing Mum (I'm an only child, so mum really went out of her way to make me happy and care for me).
3. What do you love about being a mum?
I love being a Mum because I love to watch and experience every milestone they make. I love the laughter, the singing, the chaos, the adventure and I love knowing they are a part of me and always will be. 3 years ago I became mum to twin boys, Max and Cooper. I never could have imagined what an impact they had on my life and how I will forever be their role model. Now i'm doing it all over again with my 11 month old son, Benji. I love what Motherhood has taught me. Its taught me that its much more rewarding and full of love, a love that I had never had experienced before and it will never leave me. Your children become your everything, and you can’t imagine your life before them. Becoming a mom is when you learn truly learn, what unconditional love is!
4. What are the three most important things to teach your kids about being healthy and active?
If you see kids in the playground you will notice that kids are naturally physically active and love to move around. Its hard to teach kids at such a young age to be healthy and active so here are my top 3 tips.
1. We try to lead by example and be active role models by showing them how much we love to be healthy.
2. We try our best to influence them into healthy choices, though its not always successful!
3. We instill a love of activity and help our kids fit it into their everyday routines.
5. What are some healthy snacks we can find in your kids lunch boxes?
The boys don’t have lunchboxes as school provides their lunch but when we go out we always pack apples, carrots and raisins.
6. How do you spend time with your kids that is fun and active?
If you know my boys, you will know they are very active! So it doesn’t take much to get them outside. Running, walking the dog, scootering, swimming, they watch me take classes outside, they play soccer and we chase each other around the house!
7. Being a mum is...
Being a mum brings a golden opportunity to improve family patterns or strengthen patterns from your own childhood. You are the first to get the hugs and kisses, your kids will make more drawings for you than they will for anyone else in the family, you can pause life on a rainy day and watch kids cartoons and stay in your PJs and your smile and encouragement has the power to completely turn your child's day around.
8. What are your top 3 Active "mum on the go" pieces from Vie Active?
The Lori Sports bra in Brazilian Butterfly, The Black Leopard Rockell tights and the Running in Rome Judy Jacket (Exclusive to our Bondi Beach store)