A Healthy Girl's Guide To Sydney
Posted on 22 March 2014
Our co - founder Noa gives us the her low - down & inside scoop to the best of Sydney's health & fitness hot spots!
1. What do you think makes Sydney such a health and fitness hub?
In the last few years, Sydney, especially Bondi has started to truly live and breathe an active lifestyle. I think it’s because if you look around, we have gorgeous weather, open space and for an urban city we aren’t too crowded, so we don't really have an excuse not to be active.
2. What should you do in Sydney that you can’t get anywhere else?
Yoga by the Sea at Bondi. You can’t go past a great early morning stretch session with views of what I think is one of the most stunning beaches in the world! The fresh salt air and the gorgeous views are the perfect way to start your day.
If you're more of a healthy foodie, another go-to is a Raw Vegan High Tea. Sadhana kitchen in Enmore has created the ultimate indulgent experience for healthy foodies. They offer raw sandwiches, brownies, donuts and cheesecakes, as well as a great range of organic coffee and herbal teas for a healthy girl’s high tea experience.
3. Where’s the best place to go for a great outdoor workout?
The Bondi to Bronte run is always great as you get a mix of everything. Firstly it's good run with great views and the strength stations along the way well is a great way to get a bit of a strength workout in as well. Plus you can swim at either end or at Tamarama in between.
Another great run is the Bay Run, it’s a 7km run around Iron Cove bay with stunning water views.
4. Top 3 boutique gym spots and why you love them?
1. Agoga Bondi: Agoga brings functional and results driven training to the next level, they have great focused classes such as leaner, faster and stronger and are always challenging you to do new things. One day you might be doing TRX pikes and the next pistol squats and stationary treadmill running.
2. Flow Athletic: Flow Athletic is amazing as it has fantastic fusion classes. These are one-hour classes that fuse spin with strength or yoga. So you get the benefits of a great dual workout. Bike-fit mixes 30 min spin with 30 minutes strength work on the TRX and Kettlebells and will have you feeling the burn for days.
3. Vicious Cycles: Vicious cycles gives a real fun, upbeat party vibe to all its classes, so not only do you sweat it out, but you also have a great time whilst doing it. Plus they also offer yoga, TRX and pilates classes in their second smaller studio.
5. What’s your coffee order and where’s the best place to get coffee in Sydney?
An Almond Milk Flat White. Will and Co. is quickly being known for the best coffee in Sydney. They have a café at Bondi Beach and are stocked in several cafes. They also froth the almond milk perfectly every time-which is quite an art.
6. Where’s your favourite brunch spot to go with friends?
Porch and Parlour in Bondi is a bit of a hidden gem. It is slightly out of the way in North Bondi but offers some of the tastiest breakfast options. I love the green breakky bowl with kale, spinach, quinoa and dukkah. The Green pea pancakes with trout on the side come in a close second. YUM!
7. Where’s your best place to get a great green smoothie?
About Life in Bondi Junction has a great range of super healthy smoothies. If you are going to go all out - get the Rainbow Super Smoothie with coconut water, cacao, raspberries, raw vegan protein, coconut oil, chai seeds, LSA, aloe vera, maqui, acai wild gubinge, raw camu camu and raw organic afa blue green algae. Pretty much a meal in a cup! You also can’t go past Henley’s Whole foods (also in Bondi Junction). They do a great lean machine post-workout green smoothie as well as a range of other delicious blends.
8. What’s the best spot to get some great healthy sweets?
I Love Earth to Table in Bondi. It always has a great range of raw vegan cheesecakes, slices and chocolates. They even do great made to order cakes if you have any special requests. Plus they have an amazing chocolate ‘Love’ smoothie, which will satisfy any sweet tooth.
9. Where do you go to pick up your health food essentials?
My two favourite places to pick up organic goodies are The Health Emporium and Naked Foods. Both providing a great range of fresh and organic produce. Plus the Health Emporium lets you churn your own nut butter. The Hazelnut butter is my go-to pick.
If you’re on the North side of Sydney, I love Sprout Wholefoods. They are an all in one exercise and health food hub. They are an awesome healthy café and supermarket downstairs and have a killer Xtend Barre studio. So you can workout, grab brunch with your girlfriend and take your pantry essentials home all in one trip!
10. Favourite markets in Sydney?
Bondi Grower's Markets on Saturday’s. The Bondi markets have a fantastic vibe, from the chai tent offering delicious soy chai, to raw food stalls and freshly made bliss balls. There is something to entice everyone.
Everleigh Markets on Saturday’s. The Everleigh markets are the perfect place to pick up not only fresh fruit and vegies, but also a range of other pantry staples. There are great selections of wheat free breads using buckwheat and quinoa. There are also great grass fed sausages in a range of tasty flavours like beetroot and carrot, caramelized onion and chilli, kale and olive to name a few.
The Glebe markets on Sundays and Edgecliff markets on Thursdays also provide a wide array of foodie finds.
11. Can you describe your ultimate healthy day in Sydney from where you’d workout, eat and what you’d do to relax?