Q and A with Ashleigh Jensen
Posted on 16 January 2014
Ashleigh Jensen is the ultimate inspiration for living an active life. She is a healthy living ambassador living in the Sunshine Coast, currently studying health promotion. Her Instagram is always filled with delicious recipes and treats, not to mention stunning views of Queensland's best beaches. We chatted to her about her fitness routine, thoughts on supplements and got a great quinoa museli recipe too!
1. Tell us a bit about yourself? (where do you live? what do you do? how did you get started in the health and fitness industry etc.)
I live in Queensland on the beautiful Sunshine Coast. I love the relaxed vibe and the climate, which is close to perfect year-round. I’ve always been set on getting the most out of life and my own wellness journey lead me to where I am now. I suffered anorexia for many years and had such a negative relationship with food and my body. I have since turned this around and live every day hoping to inspire others to truly value who they are, what they eat and how to nourish your body from the inside out.
2.How do you live an active life, what's your favourite way to stay fit?
I am always on the go so my exercise routine is quite structured. I train weights 4-5 times per week and powerwalk along the beachfront about 3 times per week. I also like to mix it up with the occasional group fitness class such as yoga or Les Mills or climb Mt Coolum.
3. How do you mix up your fitness routine when you're bored or have reached a plateau?
I compete in fitness competitions so the exercise I do (mainly weights) is training for specific results. If I’m ever feeling unmotivated I always look back to my original goals of why I started and think “How bad to I want it?” – plus when you know how amazing it feels to be fit that’s enough motivation in itself.
4. Did you have any New Year's resolutions for 2014?
No resolutions as such. I have goals that I would like to achieve such as: place in the INBA (International Natural Bodybuilding Association), continue to do well with my University studies (Bachelor of Health Promotion) and be open to all the unpredictable opportunities that may come my way.
5. What is your opinion on taking supplements?
I personally do not take any vitamin supplements, as I believe the food I eat provides me with the essentials. However, I use a natural WPI protein powder when training and use supergreen powders or spirulina in smoothies if I feel my diet has been lacking vegetables.
6. What would we always find in your fridge?
Coconut water, fresh fruit and vegetables either from my garden or the local farmers market, probiotic yogurt, lean meat/fish and whatever healthy snacks I’ve been creating for the week (ie. Raw chocolate, healthy banana bread). No packets or jars just real, wholesome food.
7. Can you share with us one of your favourite recipes?
Sure! Here’s the recipe to my Quinoa Crunch Muesli:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries
- 1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa, oats, goji berries, mulberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and coconut flakes. Stir in the coconut oil and honey and mix until all the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out on a thin layer on large baking pan lined with baking paper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once about halfway through, until the granola is golden. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature before transferring to your storage containers.
8. What is your favourite post-workout snack?
An Acai Bowl. ½ frozen banana, frozen acai pulp, protein powder and coconut water. Topped with some raw nuts and seeds.
9. What do you look for in your activewear?
Functionality yet it has to be stylish and sexy. When you look good – you feel good!
10. What are your top 3 Vie Active pieces?
-Alice Run Shorts – anything leopard print I’m bound to adore.
-Best Friend Merino Tank – Charcoal Grey
-Phoebe – Biarritz to Bondi Hoodie
Shop Ashleigh's favourite pieces: