VIRTUAL CUP OF TEA WITH KATHRYN EISMAN
Posted on 24 May 2016
Two-time Emmy nominated journalist, Entertainment Correspondent for The Morning Show in Australia, author of two best selling books (‘How To Tell A Man By His Shoes’ and ‘How To Tell A Woman By Her Handbag’), personal success coach, model and mom, there's pretty much nothing Kathryn cannot do. A mother to almost three year old Capri, Kathryn is a fellow Aussie and beautiful inside and out. We had a virtual cup of tea to discuss work, life, motherhood and the elusive work/life balance. Enjoy!
- What is one of the most important lessons you have learnt as a mother?
The power of love, having a child breaks your heart completely open and immediately puts everything into perspective. To experience loving someone so completely that every time they say something new or do something cute your heart feels like it’s melting. It’s like falling in love all over again every single day, but with a little human you created. It’s an enormous privilege to experience that wholeness.
- What daily habits keep you productive?
To do lists written the night before, have a single weekly priority so that you make real headway with a particular project rather than spread yourself too thinly, which is easy to do when you are a working Mom and have numerous projects running concurrently.
- Why is health and fitness a priority for you?
When you’re a mom, you need a lot of energy just to power through the day. You don’t have those lazy weekends curled up on the couch watching Sex in the city reruns like you did pre baby! It’s go, go, go. Being a mom is also physically demanding- just carrying Capri who is the size of a 4 year old around for hours a day is a work out in itself, so I have to stay fit to keep up! I also want to set a good example for her with food choices. She’s learnt to love broccoli, which is a real victory, mind you, she’s also learnt to love chocolate! Oops!
- What are your thoughts on that elusive work/life/balance combination?
One rule I try to implement is being 100% present in whatever it is I’m doing. So if I’m working, I give it 100% and if I’m with Capri I give her my undivided attention. That really boosts your productivity and takes away some of the stress and allows you to enjoy the moment without worrying about what you “should be doing”.
I know that finding this balance is so hard for so many women, and it was the reason I for the past few years I’ve been coaching women in a program I designed called Trifecta…
The basic principle being that in order for a woman to feel truly happy, she needs to have the three pillars of her life at a high level; relationships, career and health/beauty. For everyone those three things can mean different things. I work with a handful of clients to enhance every aspect of their lives, especially mothers who have so little time to think about their own happiness. The life transforming results we see has given me more satisfaction that almost anything else I’ve ever done (for bookings, email email@example.com).
- What is your favourite way to exercise?
I work out on average 4 days a week first thing in the morning. I do Pilates on a reformer 2-3 times a week and alternate between boxing and spin on the other days. I feel so much more energized and optimistic all day if I’ve got a work out in the am.
A great byproduct is feeling like you have a strong, healthy body and to my great surprise I have better abs now than I did pre baby! I really didn’t expect that!
- What are your thoughts on mistakes, challenges or failures?
Embrace mistakes, failures and don’t be afraid of them. My husband wrote Why People Fail (Amazon link) and I really believe his point that successful people fail more times than failures!
If you’re not making mistakes you’re probably not challenging yourself enough. I think society needs to rethink failure and create more opportunities for people to try new things be it at work or even during their off time without fearing the humiliation of falling flat on their face. It’s the fastest way to learn, grow and eventually become amazing! As they say, you don’t learn that much from success, failure is the great teacher.
Imagine if babies acted like adults, no one would ever have learnt how to walk! Life is about falling down and getting up again and again and again. That’s what success looks like.
- If you could share one piece of wisdom to your daughter what would it be?
To steal a line from Cinderella, “have courage and be kind”.
People underestimate the power of kindness and the importance of courage.
- What traits does your daughter already have of yours?
She loves people and will go up to anyone regardless of their age and ask them, “What are you doing? Want to play?” She’s already incredibly sociable and already conducting her first interviews!
She also has an innate love of fashion, often the first words she utters when she wakes are, “I want to wear a beautiful dress!”
Oh, and she loves chocolate! As I said, I’m not the perfect mom! Ha ha
- Finally, At Vie Active we celebrate the notion of being FLAWSOME, realising that we can’t always be perfect and that our imperfectness is what makes us who we are – what makes you FLAWSOME?
So many things! I’m not the most practical person in the world. I remember living in New York being a TV reporter for NBC and coming home one day and I couldn’t turn on the lights. I realized that I had forgotten to pay the electricity bill! As a journalist I’ll methodically fact check everything and have such attention to detail, but when it comes to practical things like paying bills and writing shopping lists etc, it doesn’t come as naturally. I’m much more excited my ideas and creative projects. I’ve learnt to appreciate this about myself, but still work on it…after all, when you’re a mother you don’t want your family living in the dark!
The VIE ACTIVE LIST
- Heels or sneakers? Sneakers before 11am, Heels after.
- Coffee or wine? Coffee before 5pm, Wine after.
- Sunrise or Sunset workout? Sunrise, always!
- Favourite food: Sushi, Chocolate, Cheese, Vegetarian Dim Sum.
- What are your makeup must-haves? Dior 'Addict Lip Glow' Color Reviver Balm, NARS Bronzers and blushes, Napoleon Perdis Eye shadows, Physicians Formula Bronzer and BB creams
- Your style icon: my Nana Anna who was the epitome of grace and elegance all her 94 years and was responsible for bringing many of the top European designers to Australia.
- Your "healthy living" hero: My father Peter Eisman, he does the Bondi to Bronte coastal walk and beach swim in Sydney numerous times a week and has for the past 50 years! He instilled a deep love of the outdoors and exercise in our family.
- The wardrobe item you can’t live without: My Rosegold Glomesh Bag for a sexy date night and my MissySkins leather pants
For more on Kathryn